‘Tis the season for increased traffic, long days, unpredictable weather conditions, and, unfortunately, impaired driving. It all comes with the winter holiday season as people travel to celebrate with family and friends.
Before you head out on your next route, take time to review these 10 safety tips to help keep you and all others on the roadways safe during the busy holiday travel season.
- Buckle up. Think about your family and friends waiting for you back home. Do it for them!
- Pay attention to the other drivers. Watch out for unsafe drivers – those swerving or driving too aggressively. Anticipate their actions and steer clear. If you suspect an impaired driver, report it ASAP.
- Minimize lane changing. Cruise in the right lane to lower your risk of a blind spot that leads to an accident.
- Travel a safe distance behind other drivers. While this is always important, practice this even more so during those busy holiday travel days.
- Take caution when approaching a bridge. Bridges freeze faster than roads.
- Don’t use the jake break in icy conditions. Instead, put the truck in a lower gear and use friction brakes.
- Check your emergency kit. Make it an annual habit to check your emergency kit around the holidays. Is your fire extinguisher up-to-date? Is your First Aid kit stocked? Do you have a flashlight, extra winter clothes and blankets, non-perishable foods and bottled water on board in case you get stranded?
- Practice Patience. Squash road rage, and remember that rushing to a delivery is not worth rollovers, jackknifes and collisions.
- Rid the Ba-Humbug Attitude. Don’t let making a long haul over the holiday turn you into Ebenezer Scrooge. If you’re ticked off and impatient, it’s not safe. Take a few deep breaths. Listen to your favorite music or a favorite podcast.
- Be a Highway Watchdog. Driving responsibly is everyone’s duty. However, not every driver understands how to share the road with big rigs, so extra duty is placed upon the shoulders of truck drivers like you. Be alert at all times. Drive defensively and safely.
Driven by the Best
Interested in a truck driving career that offers flexible home time and multiple pay plans? Join the Classic Carriers family today!